Monday, February 6, 2012

New Classes (again)

Spring semester has finally started up again here in the desert, so here comes my obligatory 'new semester' overview. We've had quite a long break between Fall and Spring semesters (in the past I believe there was a short Winter quarter in there, but with budget cuts that's now gone), and I know I'm not the only one who's pretty relieved classes are up again. Break is nice, but when I'm not looking for work I'm sitting around the house with nothing to do.

My schedule this semester is pretty full; I'm trying to make up for having a pretty meager selection last Spring. Not only am I at the college for a longer period of time this semester, but I'm also having to familiarize myself with parts of the campus I've never been around before.

Tuesday and Thursday mornings I have an American English class, the 'sequel' to the American English course I took last semester (with the same teacher and everything). I already know pretty much what to expect from this class, so I'm not too worried.

Then I have a five-hour break until my next class, early in the afternoon. This is also an English class, but a basic composition something-or-other requirement for my AA. I've never had this particular professor before, but he's pretty nice and interesting, and with it being a basic composition course I can't imagine it will be very difficult at all (I'm just hoping I don't forget what homework goes with what class).

The problem is what to do with this five hour break. I could drive home, but then I have to drive back to school for my English class, then back home to pick mom up from work, and then back to school yet again on Tuesdays for my third class of the day: fencing.

I was totally terrified of this fencing class before starting. I'd never been to the school gym before to I wasn't totally sure what it'd look like, and I didn't know if our coach was going to expect us to know something to start with, or if we were going to have to use the school showers afterward. I really wanted to take fencing, but I didn't want to look like an idiot.

As you might expect, everything was fine. Our coach apparently runs a fencing league or something in the desert, so she had some of her non-college students come in and demonstrate for us, and we working on stances and moving and such. It was fun, and I was glad I wasn't expected to actually fence anyone that first day.

My Wednesday schedule is more complicated. Each of my classes that day are extra long, to make up for the fact that they're only once a week, and I'm on campus from nine in the morning to seven in the evening.

Luckily the classes themselves seem to be fun. I start with a History of Film Music class in the campus theater, and it looks like we'll be watching movies and talking about film scores a lot. My professor seems really friendly, and though it's a three-hour class I don't think it'll wear on me much.

After a half-hour break I have a Plant Science lab class. I'm still not 100% sure what we're going to be doing, we each get a garden plot to work with which sounds promising. This class is on a corner of the campus I've never really been to before, so it was fun last Wednesday to head over there and explore; it's the Agriculture department, so it's a bit secluded and very peaceful. New favorite spot on campus? Maybe.

We got out early last week but usually we'll have a ten minute break before our Plant Science lecture starts, in another wing but with the same professor. The lecture is what I'm really not looking forward to sitting through this semester; it's at the end of the day so I'm already tired, and even though I had an easy day last week I already found myself nodding off.

Mondays I have off from classes, and Friday I only have a morning Yoga class, which I hope doesn't wear me out too much.

While I'm excited for this semester's classes, I'm a bit anxious as to what this means for my blogging schedule. I wont be able to update at all on Wednesdays, and I've been trying to decide how I want to handle this. I've decided to limit my blog posts this semester, posting every Monday and Friday as usual but skipping Wednesdays. I'll try to update occasionally on Saturdays.

No comments: