Wednesday, May 25, 2011

The Contributor-Lurker Ratio

Also known as the 90-9-1 principle, the Contributor-Lurker Ratio is an internet-based statistical number which suggests that, for every one major contributor on an online group (who may seem to dominate the discussion, or post very often), there are nine minor contributors, who post every so often to make an appearance, and ninety-nine 'lurkers', or people who contribute very rarely, if ever. And in case you're wondering, yes, I did try to use as many big words as possible.
Like Godwin's Law, the Contributor-Lurker Ratio was proposed for online application, but it applies to real life as well. Depending on what communicative platform it is applied to, of course, the ratio numbers would change. For example, in a discussion between people who know each other very well, the 'lurker' number all but disappears, whereas in certain anonymous groups (like Wikipedia), the middle group is what disappears, and you're left with an extremely large group of lurkers and a small, tight-knit group of contributors.
Average Joe off the street isn't editing
Wikipedia, he doesn't have time for that.

The reason this ratio is good to remember is because everyone who uses the internet is on it. If you've ever read a news article online, you'll notice that you, along with the thousands of other people who only read that article, are lurkers. The people who commented on the article would be considered minor contributors, while the one person who wrote that article (or team, if it's for a major publication) is the major contributor.

Another reason you need to remember this is because websites don't like having lurkers. I don't think anyone does - lurkers are people who aren't giving you their opinion. In a debate, they're the people not telling you what side they're on. In retail, they're the people not telling you how they liked your product, or advising you how to be better. In class, they're the kids who never raise their hand, or never have an answer when called on. Websites in particular try to increase their user count by modifying content to please their users, but the 10% of users who have any opinion on the matter might not accurately reflect the feelings of the 90% silent majority.

When I was younger, I was a very active member of some smaller online forum communities. It wasn't until I was older that I started holding my tongue more online, lurking through discussions instead of giving my own input. Part of that may have to do with the sizes of the communities I visited; when I was younger, my online activity was limited to smaller groups with people I knew. As I got older, I joined larger websites with more anonymous members, and, hoping not the 'give myself away', I didn't say much when I didn't need to. About a year ago, I was to the point where the only content I contributed online was my own Facebook posts, and the occasional comment on a Youtube video.
Same idea as the pyramid above, but in reverse.
It was when I realized I was a lurker that I decided to start this blog. Within this blog itself, I am the #1 top contributor. I have the feeling of creating meaningful content again. I don't comment much on other blogs, rendering me still a lurker to the blogosphere-at-large, but as I get used to the feeling of contributing my opinions to the anonymous internet, and can start shifting those opinions to locations that will have a more major impact on reality.

Of course the real reason I started this blog was to increase my writing platform (y'know, trick a bunch of people on the internet into liking me and my writing, so when I publish a book someone'll buy it), but it was also a part of my own fear of becoming a nobody. Not that there's anything wrong with being part of the 90 - in fact, I'd hate to be really famous. Thinking in fiction terms, I'd rather be the side character who helps the protagonist than the actual protagonist. But I want to at least be in the story.

I think everyone, at some point in their life, does something meaningful, whether they realize it or not. Selfishly, I want to make sure I realize it. Doesn't everyone?
(Also, I'll stop being sappy now. Did you see my new Profile picture?)

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I like this post.


(Ah-ha, Contribution?) :P
I love you, you know that?