Monday, July 4, 2011

Monday the Fourth

I don't have a main topic for today's blog, so even though there are several things I'm going to go over, it'll be relatively quick.

About a week ago, I preformed a system restore on my dad's old laptop (which I've informally adopted) to clean it of any malware. For some reason, after the software reset, the 'Control' key fell off of the keyboard (In case there are any computer illiterates following along: there's no reason that something in the software would effect the keyboard hardware). I was unable to click it back into place, so instead of wasting the opportunity, I decided to sew the 'ctrl' key onto a bracelet that I could wear around, because the symbolism was too good to pass up. I don't know if I'll ever actually wear it, but it's pretty cool looking.

In other news, this past week has been pretty interesting. I managed to make all three of my blog appointments last week, so I'm really not doing too bad, but last Monday was a pretty late update (surprisingly, according to my stats, my post on the 27th got an unexpected amount of hits. Who knew people were so interested in hats?) I blame Monday's tardiness on my mom's compulsive desire to catch up to me on Psych.



Basically, my sister-in-law came down a few weeks ago and forced us to watch the first episode of Psych, the popular USA Network comedy, via our Netflix. I'll write a review later and tell the whole story, but pretty much since then I haven't been able to stop. At first, I waited until mom had time, and we would get through up to three episodes a day, but after a while I decided to move on ahead of her.

Mom then ended up finding out, and last Monday she spent the entire afternoon/evening watching episodes while working on her sewing projects (she's trying to clean out her craft room, and she figured that the easiest way to do that was to actually finish all the projects she started). The first four episodes or so were repeats for me, so I was able to work on my blog, but then Mom just kept moving ahead, and it's very hard to write a blog and watch Netflix at the same time.

So Monday's blog was a bit late, but I managed to get it out in time, which should say a ton about my work ethic. Right?

Tuesday and Wednesday were spent preparing for Thursday. I have two classes at the local undisclosed community college this year, one an introduction to Psychology and the other an English: Myth and Legend class. On Thursday, I had an essay due in my English class, and a test in my Psychology class. Procrastinator that I am, I waited until about Tuesday to decide on an essay topic and due some research (the Psychology test would be relatively easy, I figured, since it was all stuff I was pretty much familiar with).
I did my English essay on the Slavic Firebird.
Then I spent all Wednesday afternoon sequestered in my room with my laptop, working alternately on my English essay and my Wednesday blog post. Outside, Mom moved on ahead of me in Psych episodes, knowing full well that I'd catch up to her this weekend.

I was also informed sometime early last week that I'd be going in to take my drive test on Thursday afternoon. I've had my driver's permit since September, so it was due time to actually get my license. It was never hugely important to me to get my license when I turned 16 - the thought of taking lessons alone in the car with some older guy wasn't particularly appealing - so I waited until I was an adult and could legally take the test without having lessons first.

Thursday, I passed my Psychology test (presumably), turned in a major English essay, and passed my driving test - I can now legally drive without someone else in the car! Mom wouldn't let me drive home, though.

The reason I had to take my driving test last week was because my parents were intending to leave town this weekend. I think I was expected to go with them, but I declined because sitting in the car for hours with nothing to do is depressing, and I much preferred the thought of me home, alone, all weekend, with nothing to do.

As much as I enjoy having the house to myself all day, it's kind of uncanny. A sound that I would normally identify as the ice-maker turning on or my cat playing with her toys becomes a possible intruder when I'm alone with my thoughts. It didn't help at all that one of the episodes of Psych I watched, alone, Friday night was a parody on the slasher/horror genre. I ended up staying awake until 1:30, falling asleep on the couch accidentally, and getting as much sleep as I normally would on a school night.

I was able to drive myself to church on Sunday, however, which was fun. I wore a hat, of course, with a red flower that I'd made the day before while watching Netflix.

1 comment:

seanmcox said...

I was thinking of asking Mom how the Psych thing was going. Since you're in season 3, I take it that it is going well.

Awesome! When you're done with that, I guarantee that you'll enjoy Sherlock. Whaaat?