Sunday, August 16, 2009

Eating the Staples

I attempted to make Onigiri today. Onigiri are Japanese rice balls, made by pouring salt on your hands, rolling rice into a round (or triangular) shape, adding a filling, and (optionally) wrapping Nori (seaweed) around. From what I can tell, Onigiri is kind of like the Hotdog of Japan - a quick, easy-to-make snack eaten as an excuse for dinner when you go to the movies so you can have the concession candy bars.

In the past, I've tried to make other Asian foods as well; while reading a manga or watching a drama, I get it in my head that I want to eat something with chopsticks, so I make something so I can do so. My first experiment was a stir-fry with no taste - so I bought a package of Soba noodles that came with a stir-fry/Yakisoba seasoning.

Since then I've successfully made my own Yakisoba with regular Soba noodles. We got a pack of Instant Miso Soup packages, which started out nice but lost taste after a few spoonfuls (Oddly enough, I got a Miso side at a Japanese restaurant the other day, and it didn't go lukewarm or tasteless. I guess I'm still not cooking it right.) I tried to make a Miso-Ramen soup that I can't bring myself to finish or throw away, and after looking at a real recipie I feel the urge to try again.

I did successfully manage to make a Korean Budaechigae, even though I had to substitute a few ingredients, and a Fried Rice recipe from a kid's "Around the World" book.

Onigiri can go in the list as another failed attempt, however. Turns out, you really do need the White Rice, and Brown Long-Grain Rice isn't very sticky, at all. I'm hesitant to request Mom buy White Rice, however, as she seems to dislike it. Until then, I'm stuck with a small bowl of flaked Salmon, four more sheets of Nori (What will end of becoming California rolls or something), and a pot full of Brown Rice fresh off the stove.

(Maybe I should try some other continent for food after I figure Asia out.)

No comments: